Sunday, March 10, 2013

Query on Query

The past week has had more than its share of disappointments. Let's just pass over them, because generally life ain't bad and RiffTrax may just get the chance to riff Twilight live. 

After reading a LOT of QueryShark archives, and most of the articles linked from this extremely helpful page, I pumped out a query and a synopsis for Highbinder on Thursday. The best bit of advice I found on synopses is to read and take example from Wikipedia's plot summaries for movies or books. After I read that, I relaxed. That matter-of-fact here's-how-it-went style is honestly one that I adore reading, and although emulating it isn't as easy as it looks, I was able to write the synopsis without flop sweat after considering it a Wikipedia summary. I don't know that I did it well, but I did it. Just have to let it sit for a while.

Wanna read my query (as it stands)? It's short. Critiques welcome.
Berra Thorntree wants to go straight. After she was left for dead by her boyfriend and her boss a year ago, Berra retired from her career as a highbinder - a specialized assassin - and opened a flower shop. As a half-gaiad, she’s as good at growing things as she is at running fearlessly from rooftop to rooftop. But then she learns of Greenheart, the city government’s plan to harness a new energy source. Such a project will lead to the genocide of Berra’s people, and she just has to step in.
Unfortunately, the only person Berra can turn to for help is her former boss, Leori, the head of the most dangerous gang in the city. Naturally, Leori has plans of her own. Berra must weigh the needs of her people against her own urge to walk away from her murderous past – and there’s always the possibility that if the city’s operatives don’t kill her, Leori just might.
HIGHBINDER is urban fantasy, with touches of steampunk and alternate history, and is approximately 96,000 words. Thank you for your time and consideration. 
Now that I've drafted this, the only things left to do are a) wait for book feedback, b) revise the synopsis obsessively, and c) find another freakin' project already. My anxiety hasn't let me do c), even though it's the thing I most need to do. Maybe today's the day.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Finally reading your book! Awesome first 75 pages ! Truly loving it. Nice complement to my vaca.

JaneA said...

I have to say, sounds fascinating. I definitely want to read more. You've got me hooked.

Katharine Coldiron said...

Thanks so much, JaneA!